Hope Amid Fear: Zulum Promises Rescue of 48 Abducted Children in Borno
Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum has assured residents of Mussa community in Askira Uba LGA that efforts are underway to rescue 48 abducted persons, including 43 schoolchildren. During a visit to Uba town, the governor expressed sympathy to affected families and pledged that the Federal Government, security agencies, and the Borno State Government would work together to secure the victims’ release.
Residents of Mussa community in Askira Uba Local Government Area of Borno State are holding onto hope after the abduction of 48 people, including dozens of schoolchildren, by suspected terrorists.
During a sympathy visit to Uba town on Tuesday, Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum reassured grieving parents and community leaders that every possible step was being taken to secure the safe return of the victims.
Addressing members of the Uba Emirate, the governor expressed deep sorrow over the tragic incident and pledged continued collaboration with federal authorities and security agencies.
“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” the governor said.
He further assured residents that the Federal Government, under the leadership of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, alongside the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government, was committed to bringing the children home safely.
Governor Zulum disclosed that senior security officials, including the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer, and other heads of security agencies, had already been deployed to the area to strengthen ongoing rescue operations and improve security presence.
According to him, intensified efforts are also underway to secure Askira, Uba, and neighbouring communities against future attacks.
“We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira, Uba, and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he stated.
The governor also appealed directly to the abductors, urging them to release the children, whom he described as innocent minors deserving care and protection from their families.
In a call for unity and spiritual support, Zulum encouraged residents across Borno State to pray for the victims’ safe return, especially during the first 10 days of the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah.
Meanwhile, the Emir of Uba, Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II, revealed that the abduction took place on Friday, May 15, in Mussa community. He said the victims included 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students, and five other residents.
The monarch praised Governor Zulum for his consistent efforts in tackling insecurity and supporting affected communities across the state.
A representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, also commended the governor for visiting the area and acknowledged the swift deployment of military personnel and other security operatives following the incident.
As rescue efforts continue, families in the affected community remain hopeful that the abducted children will soon reunite with their loved ones.
judithhh