Oyo School Kidnap: Authorities Say Victims Have Not Been Released
The Oyo State Police Command has denied reports claiming that students, pupils, and teachers abducted during an attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have been rescued. Police spokesperson DSP Ayanlade Olayinka said security agencies are still working to secure the victims’ release and arrest those responsible. Authorities urged the public to avoid spreading unverified information, warning that fake news could disrupt ongoing rescue operations. Abayomi Fagbenro also confirmed that no rescue had taken place as of Thursday morning.
Oyo School Abduction: Police Dismiss Rescue Rumours, Say Victims Still in Captivity
The Oyo State Police Command has dismissed widespread rumours claiming that students, pupils, and teachers abducted during last week’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area have been rescued.
In a statement released on Friday, the Command’s spokesperson, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, confirmed that the victims remain in captivity while security operatives continue rescue operations across the area.
The abduction occurred after terrorists reportedly attacked three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State last Friday, sparking fear and concern among residents and parents.
According to the police, reports circulating on social media suggesting that the victims had regained freedom are false and misleading.
“The abducted students, pupils, and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area are yet to be released, as intensive efforts by security agencies continue to ensure their safe rescue and the arrest of those responsible for the criminal act,” the statement said.
The Command urged residents to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information, warning that fake news could complicate ongoing security operations.
Police authorities also stressed that misinformation creates unnecessary panic, heightens public tension, and distracts security personnel from critical rescue efforts already underway.
Residents seeking accurate updates were advised to contact the Police Public Relations Officer or the Command’s control room for verified information.
Meanwhile, Abayomi Fagbenro, security adviser to Seyi Makinde, also confirmed that no rescue had taken place as of Thursday morning, despite claims shared online.
The incident has continued to raise concerns over security in schools and the growing threat of kidnappings targeting educational institutions across parts of Nigeria.
judithhh