BREAKING: WAEC breaks silence on exclusion of Candidates from Sokoto State for 2022 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)


MyschoolNews Campus Pay - Earn Up to ₦50,000 Monthly | Write, Comment,Share and Invite Friends (JOIN NOW)

 WAEC breaks silence on exclusion of Candidates from Sokoto State for 2022 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).

The management of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) on Friday opened up about why the Sokoto State Government did not present candidates for the 2022 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).

 

The council said contrary to the insinuation by the state government, the state did not make the part-payment of 40 percent, which is the limit for credit facility offered to states sponsoring candidates for WASSCE.

Reacting to a statement by the state government, the Head of the Nigeria National Office (HNO), Mr. Patrick Areghan, said at no time did the council demand from the state upfront payment for its candidates.

 

He revealed that Sokoto state demanded a credit facility for candidates it is presenting for 2022 WASSCE and refused to make the 40 percent part-payment granted by the state.

 

Areghan, who faulted the statement credited to the government, said the practice is for states asking for credit facilities to pay part-payment of 60 percent and settle the remaining 40 percent after the exam.

 

He said in the case of the Sokoto state government, the council reduced the part-payment to 40 percent and waited without any words from the state Ministry of Education.

 

According to him, Sokoto state Commissioner for Education should tell the state and Nigerians what happened and stop blackmailing the council.

The HNO explained that it is not compulsory for state candidates to write WASSCE and that it did not enforce the use of the National Identification Number (NIN) as criteria for registration for the school exam.

 

He also faulted the claim that WAEC failed to furnish the state government with details of it Tax Identification Number (TIN), noting, “states granted credit facility by WAEC pay through Electronic Payment System with First Bank.”

 

Areghan challenged the state government to produce a letter it wrote to the council asking for TIN and also produced a WAEC letter demanding up-front payment.

 

“At no time did the council ask for upfront payment. The state government asked for a 100 percent credit facility and we refused it,” he stated.

 

The WAEC boss however explained that private schools in Sokoto and government-owned science schools presented 5, 333 candidates for the 2022 WASSCE.

 

He disclosed that the state science schools are owing WAEC over #52million while the state government is not indebted to the council.

 

Areghan said: “There are two ways of payment for WASSCE. One for states sponsoring candidates and one for schools making payment on behalf of their candidates, not only private schools.

 

“The use of TIN as a condition for enrolment is unknown to WAEC. It is not a condition at all.

 

“Sokoto state government approached WAEC for the credit facility. We initially asked for a 60 percent payment but after consideration, we lowered it to 40 percent and they didn’t pay.

 

“This is not the first time that Sokoto state is not presenting candidates for the May/June WASSCE. In 2021, the state did not sponsor candidates.

 

“Last year Sokoto state pulled down the uploaded Continuous Assessment of its students. When they wanted to re-upload, the council asked for payment and they refused.

 

“WAEC is not quarreling with anybody or state government. We are partners in progress for the Nigerian child. WAEC never made NIN compulsory for registration.”

 

Areghan acknowledged that the Zamfara State Government’s explanation of the non-presentation of candidates for the 2022 WASSCE was civil.

1586386520-768-by-768-1.gif

Get all Breaking News for Post-UTME,Admission List,JAMB,WAEC,NECO and Schools Resumption Date on yourwhatsApp Status Now- Click Links to Join 

Myschoolnews WhatsApp Tv - JOIN NOW
Join Myschoolnews on Telegram Now
Join Myschoolnews On Facebook Now
Join Myschoolnews On Twitter Now
Join Myschoolnews On Instagram Now

Enjoyed this article? Stay informed by joining our newsletter!

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Related Articles
About Author

Don't underestimate the determination of a boy who is cash poor and time rich