The Management of Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Ekpoma has said that any Lecturer who fails to resume work will have his office declared vacant, Myschoolnews.ng report.
This was obtained in a memo that was recently released and signed by the Acting Registrar of the University, Mr. Ambrose E. Odiase, MANUPA, MIPMA, MAUA.
The memo reads;
DECISION EXTRACTS OF THE MEETING OF UNIVERSITY MANAGEMENT WITH HEADS OF DEPARTMENT, HELD ON MONDAY, 20TH JUNE, 2022 AT THE VICE-CHANCELLOR'S CONFERENCE ROOM
The meeting of Management with Heads of Department held on Monday, 20th June, 2022, considered various issues bordering on the affairs of the University, especially the Edo State Government's Special Announcement dated 8th June, 2022 suspending Union activities across all state-owned tertiary institutions. The meeting, after extensive deliberations, decided as follows:
1. that staff of the University holding official Management positions by virtue of the Government Special Announcement suspending Union activities in all tertiary institutions in Edo State, are bound by that Government directives;
2. that in the face of the law, the implication of the Special Government Announcement, as we speak is that there are no Staff Unions in the University until the Government's pronouncement may be vacated by a court of competent jurisdiction. The fact that a Staff Union is already in court on this matter shows that they are aware of this;
3. that by the fact of the above, it is illegal for any Staff to claim to be under the directive of any “union"; therefore, any Staff who hides under “union directive (s)" and is absent from work does so at his or her own risk;
4. that all Heads of the Department should, as a matter of urgency, call on their Staff, both teaching and non-teaching, to resume work forthwith;
5. that any Head of Department who does not feel obliged to obey the directive(s) of the University Management should resign forthwith from his or her position;
6. that lists of Staff who have refused to resume work should be forwarded to the University Management to enable it determine the number of vacancies to be declared for filling as directed by the Edo State Government.
7. that any Staff going about his or her duties that are threatened, molested, or harrased by the people claiming to be “union activists" should report to the University Management immediately for appropriate action, as no “union activist (s)" has/have any right to dictate to Staff over their employment; a Staff is first and foremost an employee of the University and Government before becoming a member of a Union.
The purpose of this memo, therefore, is to inform Staff of the University of the forgoing decisions taken at the meeting of the Management with Heads of Department for their information and compliance.
Ambrose E. Odiase, MANUPA, MIPMA, MAUA
Acting Registrar and Secretary to the Council